Monitoring Workers and Workloads
Note: As of v1.8, Enterprise PKS has been renamed to VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition. Some screenshots in this documentation do not yet reflect the change.
Page last updated:
This topic lists VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition (TKGI) components and integrations you can use to capture logs and metrics about your Kubernetes worker nodes and workloads.
For information about monitoring TKGI and TKGI-provisioned cluster VMs, see Monitoring TKGI and TKGI-Provisioned Clusters.
To monitor Kubernetes worker nodes and workloads in your TKGI deployment, you can enable one or more of the following components and integrations in the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition tile > In-Cluster Monitoring:
|Sink resources||TKGI component||Sink Resources, below.|
|Wavefront||External integration||VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition Integration in the Wavefront documentation.
Or send metrics to Wavefront with a metric sink.
|vRealize Operations||External integration, with cAdvisor||cAdvisor on GitHub
VMware vRealize Operations Management Pack for Container Monitoring
When running on worker nodes, these components and integrations are visible to both TKGI admins and cluster users, such as developers.
To enable sink resources, Wavefront, or vRealize Operations integration, follow the instructions in In-Cluster Monitoring for your IaaS:
- Installing Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition on vSphere
- Installing Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition on vSphere with NSX-T
- Installing Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition on GCP
- Installing Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition on AWS
- Installing Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition on Azure
In TKGI, you can deploy log sinks and metric sinks to monitor your Kubernetes worker nodes and workloads that are running on them.
To deploy a log or a metric sink:
- Enable sink resources in the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition tile > In-Cluster Monitoring. You can enable both log and metric sink resources or only one of them.
- (Optional) Enable Node Exporter on worker nodes by selecting the Enable node exporter on workers checkbox.
- Create sink resources. For instructions, see Creating and Managing Sink Resources.
For more information about sink resources, see:
- Conceptual information: Sink Architecture in Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition
- Sink resource types, outputs, and identifying strings: Monitoring Clusters with Log Sinks
Please send any feedback you have to email@example.com.