Installing BOSH Backup and Restore
Page last updated:
This topic describes how to install BOSH Backup and Restore (BBR).
To install BBR, first validate that your jumpbox VM is a valid BOSH backup host, then copy the BBR executable to the jumpbox.
After installing BBR, you can run
bbr commands to back up and restore your Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition
For more information about using BOSH Backup and Restore, see:
- To perform a backup, see Backing Up Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition.
- To perform a restore of the BOSH Director, see Restore the BOSH Director.
- To perform a restore of the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition Control Plane, see Restore the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition Control Plane.
- To perform a restore of the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition Clusters. see Restore Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition Clusters.
Using BBR requires the following:
- A jumpbox. You must have a jumpbox before you can install BBR to the jumpbox.
- A bbr executable file. You must have the correct BBR executable version for your TKGI installation.
A jumpbox is a separate, hardened server on your network that provides a controlled means of accessing the other VMs on your network. See the jumpbox-deployment GitHub repository for an example jumpbox deployment.
To determine the correct version of BBR for your deployment, see the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition Release Notes. To download a BBR installation file, see BOSH Backup and Restore on the VMware Tanzu Network.
Configure your jumpbox to meet the following requirements:
- Your jumpbox must be able to communicate with the network that contains your Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition deployment. You can use the Ops Manager VM as your jumpbox.
- Your jumpbox must have sufficient space for the backup.
- Your jumpbox must be in the same network as the deployed VMs because BBR connects to the VMs at their private IP addresses. BBR does not support SSH gateways.
- Your jumpbox should be a host with minimal network latency to the source VMs you are configuring BBR to backup.
Note: BBR uses SSH to orchestrate the backup of your Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition instances using port 22 by default.
bbr executable to a local disk then upload the executable to the jumpbox:
- Download the latest BOSH Backup and Restore release from VMware Tanzu Network.
To add executable permissions to the
bbrbinary file, run the following command:
chmod a+x bbr
To securely copy the
bbrbinary file to your jumpbox, run the following command:
scp LOCAL-PATH-TO-BBR/bbr JUMPBOX-USER@JUMPBOX-ADDRESS:
LOCAL-PATH-TO-BBRis the path to the
bbrbinary you downloaded from VMware Tanzu Network.
JUMPBOX-USERis the ssh username for connecting to the jumpbox.
JUMPBOX-ADDRESSis the IP address, or hostname, of the jumpbox.
Please send any feedback you have to email@example.com.