Spring Cloud® Data Flow for PCF
Spring Cloud Data Flow is an open-source toolkit for data integration and real-time data processing (see the project home page). The Spring Cloud Data Flow (SCDF) server deploys pipelines composed of Spring Cloud Stream or Spring Cloud Task applications. A domain-specific language (DSL) makes it easy to describe the applications in a pipeline and how they are connected.
The SCDF server exposes a REST API for composing and deploying data pipelines and a dashboard with a graphical pipeline editor. It also includes a shell for working with the API from the command line.
Spring Cloud Data Flow for Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) automates the deployment of SCDF and its dependent services so that developers can use Apps Manager to deploy their own SCDF instances. They can then access their Data Flow server, either via the SCDF dashboard UI or using their PCF credentials with the SCDF shell.
Spring Cloud Data Flow for PCF includes the following key features:
- Addition of the Spring Cloud Data Flow server to the Marketplace as a managed service
- Automatic integration with dependent PCF services:
- MySQL for PCF (or a user-provided relational database service) for apps, pipelines, and task history
- RabbitMQ for PCF (or a user-provided RabbitMQ or Kafka service) for event messaging
- Redis for PCF (or a user-provided Redis service) for capturing analytics data
- Scheduler for PCF for scheduling tasks
- Integration of Data Flow server with PCF’s UAA security model
The following table provides version and version-support information about Spring Cloud Data Flow for PCF.
|Release date||November 20, 2018|
|Software component version||v1.7.1.RELEASE|
|Compatible Ops Manager version(s)||v2.1.15 and later, v2.2.2 and later, v2.3.x|
|Compatible Pivotal Application Service version(s)||v2.1.x–v2.3.x|
|IaaS support||All supported by PCF|
The following table provides information about the OSS versions used in each version of Spring Cloud Data Flow for PCF.
|SCDF Tile||SCDF OSS||Spring Cloud Skipper OSS|
Spring Cloud Data Flow for PCF has the following requirements:
- Java Cloud Foundry buildpack version 3.8 or later (see the Prerequisites section of Installation for more information)
- MySQL for PCF, or an alternative relational database service
- If using TLS with MySQL for PCF, Pivotal recommends using MySQL for PCF v2.5.x. If using MySQL for PCF v2.4.x, you must manually enable TLS on the Data Flow broker’s backing MySQL for PCF service instance when installing Spring Cloud Data Flow for PCF (see Using TLS with MySQL for PCF v2.4.x).
- RabbitMQ for PCF, or an alternative RabbitMQ or Kafka service
- Redis for PCF, or an alternative Redis service
- Cloud Foundry Command Line Interface (cf CLI)
To use the Spring Cloud Data Flow shell interface with Spring Cloud Data Flow for PCF service instances, install the following cf CLI plugins:
Spring Cloud Data Flow for PCF cf CLI plugin. To install the plugin, run the following command:
$ cf install-plugin -r CF-Community "spring-cloud-dataflow-for-pcf"
Service Instance Logging cf CLI plugin. To install the plugin, run the following command:
$ cf install-plugin -r CF-Community "Service Instance Logging"
Please provide any bugs, feature requests, or questions to the Pivotal Cloud Foundry Feedback list.