Overview of Redis for PCF v1.7
This topic describes the significant new features in Redis for PCF v1.7. This topic also presents a checklist that you can use to decide if Redis for PCF is ready to meet your business requirements.
Redis for PCF v1.7 focuses on enhanced backup and restore capabilities. Operators can configure a schedule for backups, as well as a several options for where to put the backup artifacts.
The release also includes scripts that can be run by the operator to back up and restore dedicated-vm or shared-vm service instances.
The following features are new in Redis for PCF v1.7
- A choice of destinations for backup artifacts — Redis for PCF v1.7 can send backup artifacts to AWS S3, SCP, Azure or Google Cloud Storage
- Scripts for manual backup and restore — Redis for PCF v1.7 includes scripts for backing up and restoring dedicated and shared VM instances.
- Operator configured backup schedule — The operator can configure a
cronschedule for triggering backups.
- Upgrade from 1.6 sometimes fails at cf-redis-broker. Clicking
apply changesagain will successfully complete upgrade.
- Backup configuration is not preserved when upgrading from PCF Redis 1.5 or 1.6; if backing up to AWS S3, operators will need to re-enter S3 configuration.
- The service broker and all shared-vm service instances are unavailable while the manual restore script is being run.
- If the manual restore script fails, the Redis service instance that is being restored to is left in an unusable state.
- The manual restore script can time out on very large files, e.g. larger than 60GB.
- The Redis broker vm instance listens on port 12350 instead of port 80. Any vms that need to communicate to the broker (e.g. broker-registrar, cloud_controller) should have this port open. Please ensure you have the appropriate firewall settings.
Review the following table to determine if Redis for PCF v1.7 has the features needed to support your enterprise.
|Plans and Instances||More Information|
|Dedicated and shared plans||Redis for PCF provides both dedicated VM and shared VM plans.||Plans|
|Customizable plans||For the dedicated VM plan, the operator can customize the VM and disk size.||Configuring|
|Installation and Upgrades||More Information|
|Product upgrades||Redis for PCF can be upgraded from v1.5 and v1.6 tiles||Upgrading Redis for PCF|
|Deployment Smoke Tests||Redis for PCF installation and upgrade runs a post deployment BOSH errand that validates basic Redis operations||Smoke Tests|
|Maintenance and Backups||More Information|
|Operational Monitoring and Logging||Redis for PCF v1.7 provides metrics for health monitoring and syslog redirection to external log ingestors.||Monitoring Redis for PCF|
|Backup and Restore||Redis for PCF v1.7 provides automatic backups on a configurable schedule to a variety of destinations, as well as scripts for backup and restore of service instances.||Manual Backup and Restore of Redis for PCF|
|Scale and Availability||More Information|
|Scale||Redis for PCF has been tested with 60GB of data|
|Ability to Scale Up / Down||Operators can scale VMs up, but not down||Configuring|
|Rolling Deployments||Redis for PCF does not support rolling deployments because it is single node; the service is unavailable during upgrades.||Upgrades|
|AZ Support||Assigning multiple AZs to Redis jobs does not guarantee high availability.||About Multiple AZs in Redis for PCF|
|Encrypted Communication in Transit||Redis for PCF has been tested successfully with the BOSH IPsec Add-on||Securing Data in Transit with the IPsec Add-on|
Redis for PCF v1.7 supports configuring multiple AZs. However, assigning multiple AZs to Redis jobs does not guarantee high availability.
- Shared-VM instances run on a single node in just one of the configured availability zones and are therefore not highly available.
- Dedicated-VM instances can be assigned to any of the configured availability zones. However each instance still operates as a single node with no clustering. This separation over availability zones provides no high availability.
The following table lists where you can find topics related to the information on this page:
|For more information about…||See…|
|the v1.7 releases||Release Notes|