Monitoring Workers and Workloads
Page last updated:
Warning: VMware Enterprise PKS v1.7 is no longer supported because it has reached the End of General Support (EOGS) phase as defined by the Support Lifecycle Policy. To stay up to date with the latest software and security updates, upgrade to a supported version.
This topic lists VMware Enterprise PKS (Enterprise PKS) components and integrations you can use to capture logs and metrics about your Kubernetes worker nodes and workloads.
For information about monitoring Enterprise PKS and PKS-provisioned cluster VMs, see Monitoring Enterprise PKS and PKS-Provisioned Clusters.
To monitor Kubernetes worker nodes and workloads in your Enterprise PKS deployment, you can enable one or more of the following components and integrations in the Enterprise PKS tile > In-Cluster Monitoring:
|Sink resources||PKS component||See Sink Resources below.|
|Wavefront||Integration||See Supported Integrations below.|
|cAdvisor||Integration||See Supported Integrations below.|
When running on worker nodes, these components and integrations are visible to both PKS admins and cluster users, such as developers.
To enable sink resources, Wavefront, or cAdvisor integration, follow the instructions in In-Cluster Monitoring for your IaaS:
- Installing Enterprise PKS on vSphere
- Installing Enterprise PKS on vSphere with NSX-T
- Installing Enterprise PKS on GCP
- Installing Enterprise PKS on AWS
- Installing Enterprise PKS on Azure
In Enterprise PKS, you can deploy log sinks and metric sinks to monitor your Kubernetes worker nodes and workloads that are running on them.
To deploy a log or a metric sink:
- Enable sink resources in the Enterprise PKS tile > In-Cluster Monitoring. You can enable both log and metric sink resources or only one of them.
- (Optional) Enable Node Exporter on worker nodes by selecting the Enable node exporter on workers checkbox.
- Create sink resources. For instructions, see Creating and Managing Sink Resources.
For more information about sink resources, see:
- Conceptual information: Sink Architecture in Enterprise PKS
- Sink resource types, outputs, and identifying strings: Monitoring Clusters with Log Sinks
Enterprise PKS supports the following integrations:
- Wavefront. For more information, see
VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integration Details
in the Wavefront documentation.
Note: You can also create a metric sink to send metrics to Wavefront.
- cAdvisor. For more information, see cAdvisor on GitHub and VMware vRealize Operations Management Pack for Container Monitoring.
Please send any feedback you have to email@example.com.