Installing BOSH Backup and Restore
Page last updated:
This topic describes how to install BOSH Backup and Restore (BBR).
To install BBR, first validate that your jumpbox VM is a valid BOSH backup host, then copy the BBR executable to the jumpbox.
After installing BBR, you can run
bbr commands to back up and restore your Enterprise PKS
For more information about using BOSH Backup and Restore, see:
- To perform a backup, see Backing Up Enterprise PKS.
- To perform a restore of the BOSH Director, see Restore the BOSH Director.
- To perform a restore of the Enterprise PKS Control Plane, see Restore the Enterprise PKS Control Plane.
- To perform a restore of the Enterprise PKS Clusters. see Restore Enterprise PKS Clusters.
Using BBR requires the following:
- A jumpbox. You must have a jumpbox before you can install BBR to the jumpbox.
- A bbr executable file. You must have the correct BBR executable version for your PKS installation.
A jumpbox is a separate, hardened server on your network that provides a controlled means of accessing the other VMs on your network. See the jumpbox-deployment GitHub repository for an example jumpbox deployment.
Configure your jumpbox to meet the following requirements:
- Your jumpbox must be able to communicate with the network that contains your Enterprise PKS deployment. You can use the Ops Manager VM as your jumpbox.
- Your jumpbox must have sufficient space for the backup.
- Your jumpbox must be in the same network as the deployed VMs because BBR connects to the VMs at their private IP addresses. BBR does not support SSH gateways.
- Your jumpbox should be a host with minimal network latency to the source VMs you are configuring BBR to backup.
Note: BBR uses SSH to orchestrate the backup of your Enterprise PKS instances using port 22 by default.
bbr executable to a local disk then upload the executable to the jumpbox:
- Download the latest BOSH Backup and Restore release from VMware Tanzu Network.
To add executable permissions to the
bbrbinary file, run the following command:
chmod a+x bbr
To securely copy the
bbrbinary file to your jumpbox, run the following command:
scp LOCAL-PATH-TO-BBR/bbr JUMPBOX-USER@JUMPBOX-ADDRESS:
LOCAL-PATH-TO-BBRis the path to the
bbrbinary you downloaded from VMware Tanzu Network.
JUMPBOX-USERis the ssh username for connecting to the jumpbox.
JUMPBOX-ADDRESSis the IP address, or hostname, of the jumpbox.
Please send any feedback you have to email@example.com.