Page last updated:
This topic describes how to upgrade Kubernetes clusters provisioned by Enterprise Pivotal Container Service (Enterprise PKS).
When upgrading Enterprise PKS, you can choose one of the following approaches:
- Upgrade the Enterprise PKS tile and all Enterprise PKS-provisioned Kubernetes clusters simultaneously. This is the default behavior of the Enterprise PKS tile.
Upgrade the Enterprise PKS tile only and then upgrade Enterprise PKS-provisioned Kubernetes clusters separately. If you want to upgrade your clusters separately, do the following:
- Review Limitations.
- Complete the steps listed in Prerequisites.
- Complete the steps listed in Upgrade Clusters.
Note: When Enterprise PKS is set to upgrade the Enterprise PKS tile only and not the clusters, the Kubernetes cluster version falls behind the Enterprise PKS tile version. If the clusters fall more than one version behind the tile, Enterprise PKS cannot upgrade the clusters. The clusters must be upgraded to match the Enterprise PKS tile version before the next tile upgrade.
For more information about Enterprise PKS upgrades, see What Happens During Enterprise PKS Upgrades.
Before upgrading Kubernetes clusters provisioned by Enterprise PKS, you must do the following:
- Install the PKS command line interface (CLI) v1.5. For more information, see Installing the PKS CLI.
- Disable Upgrade all clusters errand in the Enterprise PKS tile. For more information, see Modify Errand Configuration in the Enterprise PKS Tile below.
Warning: If you upgrade the Enterprise PKS tile or update your tile configuration, with Upgrade all clusters errand disabled, you must upgrade all your Kubernetes clusters before the next upgrade or configuration update.
To modify errand configuration when upgrading your Enterprise PKS version, perform the steps below. For more information about upgrading Enterprise PKS, see Upgrading Enterprise PKS.
- If you have not already, import the product file for the new Enterprise PKS version to the Ops Manager Installation Dashboard.
- In the the Enterprise PKS tile, navigate to the Errands pane.
- Disable Upgrade all clusters errand and click Save.
- Return to the Ops Manager Installation Dashboard and click Review Pending Changes.
- Select Enterprise PKS and any other products you want to deploy and click Apply Changes.
To upgrade a Kubernetes cluster provisioned by Enterprise PKS:
On the command line, run the following command to log in to Enterprise PKS:
pks login -a PKS-API -u USERNAME -kWhere:
PKS-APIis the domain name for the PKS API that you entered in Ops Manager > Enterprise PKS > PKS API > API Hostname (FQDN). For example,
USERNAMEis your user name.
See Logging in to Enterprise PKS for more information about the
Note: If your operator has configured Enterprise PKS to use a SAML identity provider, you must include an additional SSO flag to use the above command. For information about the SSO flags, see the section for the above command in PKS CLI. For information about configuring SAML, see Configure SAML as an Identity Provider in the Installing topic for your IaaS.
Run the following command to upgrade your cluster:
pks upgrade-cluster CLUSTER-NAME
CLUSTER-NAMEis the name of the Kubernetes cluster you want to upgrade. The
pks upgrade-clustercommand lets you upgrade only one cluster. To upgrade multiple clusters, you must run the
pks upgrade-clustercommand for each cluster you want to upgrade.
Note: When you make multiple cluster upgrade requests, Enterprise PKS upgrades these clusters in parallel with a limit of four concurrent cluster upgrades. If you schedule more than four cluster upgrades, Enterprise PKS queues the upgrades. If you submit too many upgrade requests, an error may occur. For more information, see Error During Individual Cluster Upgrades.
If you upgrade the Enterprise PKS tile only and then attempt to resize or update your existing Kubernetes clusters, these operations fail until you upgrade the clusters.
If you want to upgrade the Enterprise PKS tile and your existing Kubernetes clusters simultaneously, do not disable Upgrade all clusters errand in the Enterprise PKS tile.
Please send any feedback you have to email@example.com.