Downloading or Creating Windows Stemcells
This topic describes how to download or create the stemcell that Pivotal Application Service (PAS) for Windows needs to create VMs on an infrastructure.
BOSH needs a stemcell to supply the basic operating system for any Windows VM it creates. Depending on your IaaS, you can create or download a stemcell as follows:
Azure: See instructions below on how to activate and download the Azure Windows Stemcell.
Google Cloud Platform (GCP): Download the GCP light Stemcell for Windows 2016 Server Version 1803 from the Stemcells for PCF (Windows Server) section of Pivotal Network.
vSphere: Create a stemcell by following the directions in Creating a vSphere Windows Stemcell.
Amazon Web Services (AWS): Download the AWS light Stemcell for Windows 2016 Server Version 1803 from the Stemcells for PCF (Windows Server) section of Pivotal Network.
On Azure, the stemcell exists as an offering in the Azure Marketplace. To start using the Azure light stemcell, perform the steps in the following sections:
To use the Azure light stemcell, you must first accept the corresponding Microsoft license agreement and enable the stemcell for your non-trial Azure Subscription through the Azure Marketplace as follows:
- Navigate to https://portal.azure.com and log in.
- From the options on the left side of the page, click + Create a resource.
- In the Search the Marketplace bar, search for BOSH Stemcell for Windows Server 1803.
- Select BOSH Stemcell for Windows Server 1803 from your search results. A description of the Azure stemcell offering appears.
- Below the description, at the bottom of the page, click the blue banner that reads Want to deploy programmatically? Get started ➔.
- Under Choose the subscriptions, click Enable for each Azure subscription with which you want to use the stemcell.
- Click Save.
To download the Azure light stemcell for use in Ops Manager, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to Pivotal Network.
- Select Azure Light Stemcell for Windows 2016 Server Version 1803 from the Release Download Files section of the Stemcells for PCF (Windows) page.
For information about how to deploy and configure the PAS for Windows tile, see Installing and Configuring PAS for Windows.