Setting Up Your Jumpbox for BBR
Page last updated:
This topic describes how to set up your jumpbox for BOSH Backup and Restore (BBR).
To use BBR to back up and restore your Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) deployment, you must first set up a jumpbox to run BBR from.
Set up your jumpbox with the following settings:
- The jumpbox must have sufficient space for the backup. A PCF backup will be at least 1.5 GB in size.
- BBR connects to the VMs at their private IP address, so the jumpbox needs to be in the same network as the deployed VMs. BBR does not support SSH gateways.
- BBR copies the backed-up data from the VMs to the jumpbox, so ensure you have minimal network latency between them to reduce transfer times.
Consult the following table for more information about the network access permissions required by BBR.
|BOSH Director||25555||BBR interacts with the BOSH Director API.|
|Deployed Instances||22||BBR uses SSH to orchestrate the backup on the instances.|
|BOSH Director UAA||8443||BBR interacts with the UAA API for authentication, if necessary.|
Perform the following steps to transfer BBR to your jumpbox:
- Download the latest BBR release.
- Change the permissions of
bbrin order to make it executable:
$ chmod a+x bbr
- SCP the binary to your jumpbox:
$ scp LOCAL_PATH_TO_BBR/bbr JUMPBOX_USER/JUMPBOX_ADDRESSIf your jumpbox has access to the internet, you can also SSH into your jumpbox and use
$ ssh JUMPBOX_USER/JUMPBOX_ADDRESS -i YOUR_CERTIFICATE.pem $ wget BBR_RELEASE_URL $ chmod a+x bbr