Weave Cloud for PCF (Beta)
WARNING! The Weave Cloud for PCF tile is currently in Beta and is intended for evaluation and test purposes only. Do not use this product in a PCF production environment.
Weave Cloud is a one-click ops platform for development teams that integrates the operational expertise to deploy, explore, and monitor apps and services running in a cluster. In the PCF platform you can use Weave Cloud to visualize all your services in a graphical context-sensitive map and also use it to monitor and troubleshoot your application, and send you alerts if needed.
Weave Cloud for PCF includes the following key features:
- PCF monitoring: Collects metrics from all components of PCF.
- IaaS-level monitoring: Collects metrics about CPU, memory usage, IO, network, and VM states, regardless of the underlying infrastructure.
- Third-party services monitoring: Collects metrics from MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, and RabbitMQ.
- Application monitoring: Gathers standard metrics (CPU, memory, or disk usage), arbitrary metrics (gauges, counters, timings, sets), and HTTP-specific metrics (requests per second, status codes, error rates, and more).
- SSO and multi-tenancy: Uses the Cloud Foundry UAA service to control access to apps and resources based on user roles and rights within the platform. Multi-tenancy is implemented according to Cloud Foundry UAA roles. Dedicated shares of the solution are deployed to different spaces to collect metrics from the apps and services running within.
- Alerts: Can be defined for each dashboard panel. Alerts allow users to get immediate notifications through email, Slack, and other notification channels.
The following table provides version and version-support information about Weave Cloud for PCF.
|Release date||January 12, 2018|
|Software component version||Grafana v4.4.1, collectd v5.7.2, StatsD v0.8.0, carbonapi 0.8.0, carbon-c-releay 3.1, carbonzipper 0.73.2, and go-carbon 0.10.1|
|Compatible Ops Manager version(s)||v2.0.x|
|Compatible Pivotal Application Services (PAS)* version(s)||v2.0.x|
|IaaS support||AWS and OpenStack|
* As of PCF v2.0, Elastic Runtime is renamed Pivotal Application Service (PAS). If your tile supports PCF 2.0, it will use PAS, not Elastic Runtime.
Weave Cloud for PCF has the following requirements:
The overall solution should be considered beta quality.
The Weave Cloud for PCF tile, as well as the Scope Plugins for BOSH and Garden are considered beta-quality software and as such have some limitations:
- The offline buildpack for collecting JMX metrics is unavailable. Only the online version of the buildpack can be used to collect JMX metrics from Java apps.
- Users are limited to using internal MariaDB to store internal Heartbeat data such as user sessions, mappings, dashboards, UI configs, etc.
- Downscaling with retained high availability is only possible for at least two back-end instances.
The Weave Cloud agents (the Scope Probe, and the Prometheus instance configured to push metrics to Weave Cloud) and Weave Cloud itself are production-ready.
Please try it out on your development and test environments and send us your feedback.
If you have a feature request, questions, or information about a bug, please email Pivotal Cloud Foundry Feedback list.
If you have any questions or comments you can reach out to us on our #weave-community. To invite yourself to the Community Slack channel, visit Weave Community Slack invite or contact us through one of these other channels at Help and Support Services.
Weave Cloud for PCF is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”)
To obtain a Weaveworks license visit us here