VMware Harbor Registry
VMware Harbor Registry is an enterprise-class registry server that stores and distributes container images. Harbor allows you to store and manage images for use with Pivotal Container Service (PKS).
Harbor extends the open source Docker Distribution by adding the functionalities usually required by an enterprise, such as security, identity, and management. As an enterprise private registry, Harbor offers enhanced performance and security. Deploying a registry alongside the PKS environment improves image transfer efficiency.
Harbor includes the following key features:
- Integrated UAA Authentication: Harbor can share UAA authentication with PAS and PKS.
- Role-Based Access Control: Users and repositories are organized into projects. Users can have different permissions for the images in different projects.
- Policy-Based Image Replication: Images can be synchronized between multiple registry instances with auto-retry on errors, offering support for load balancing, high availability, multi-datacenter, hybrid, and multi-cloud scenarios.
- Vulnerability Scanning: Harbor uses Clair to scan images regularly and warn users of vulnerabilities.
- LDAP/Active Directory (AD) Support: Harbor integrates with an existing enterprise LDAP/AD configuration for user authentication and management.
- Image Deletion and Garbage Collection: Images can be deleted and their space can be recycled.
- Notary: Image authenticity can be ensured by using Docker Notary.
- Graphical User Portal: Users can easily browse, search repositories, and manage projects.
- Auditing: All the operations to the repositories are tracked.
- RESTful API: RESTful APIs for most administrative operations, easy to integrate with external systems.
The following table provides version and compatibility information for VMware Harbor Registry.
|Release date||July 23, 2018|
|Software component version||v1.5.2|
|Compatible Ops Manager version(s)||v2.0.x and v2.1.x|
|Compatible Pivotal Container Service (PKS) version(s)||v1.1.x|
|Compatible Pivotal Application Service (PAS) version(s)||v2.0.x and v2.1.x|
|IaaS support||vSphere and GCP|
There are no special requirements for deploying VMware Harbor Registry.
- You can configure the authentication source only once. You cannot change between UAA, LDAP, or local authentication after the initial deployment.
- Email addresses must be unique. Two users cannot have the same email address.
- Use the Google Chrome browser for the best results. There are known issues with some Firefox browser versions in this release.
Harbor is available under the following VMware EULA.