Installing and Configuring Honeycomb Nozzle for PCF
This topic describes how to install and configure Honeycomb Nozzle for Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF).
Before you install the Honeycomb Nozzle for PCF tile, you need to have an account on Honeycomb. If you have an existing account, record the team Write Key for that account; no need to create a new one.
Complete the following steps to set up a Honeycomb account:
Follow the instructions at https://honeycomb.io/signup to create a Honeycomb account and choose a team name.
Record your team Write Key from https://ui.honeycomb.io/account.
Complete the following steps to create a UAA user that gives the Nozzle access to the Firehose and Cloud Controller.
Install the UAA Command Line Interface (CLI) tool, uaac:
$ gem install cf-uaac
uaac target uaa.YOUR-SYSTEM-DOMAINcommand to target your UAA server, for example:
$ uaac target uaa.sys.example.com
- The cf deployment manifest
- The Ops Manager Installation Dashboard, click the Pivotal Elastic Runtime tile, click Credentials, UAA > Admin Client Credentials
Authenticate to UAA using the
client_secretfrom the previous step:
$ uaac token client get admin -s ADMIN-CLIENT-SECRET
Create a Honeycomb Nozzle user with a password of your choice:
$ uaac -t user add honeycomb-nozzle-user --password PASSWORD --emails na
Add the user to the Cloud Controller Admin Read-Only group:
$ uaac -t member add cloud_controller.admin_read_only honeycomb-nozzle-user
Add the user to the Doppler Firehose group:
$ uaac -t member add doppler.firehose honeycomb-nozzle-user
For information about creating a UAA user, see Creating and Managing Users with the UAA CLI.
Download the product file from Pivotal Network.
Navigate to the Ops Manager Installation Dashboard and click Import a Product to upload the product file.
Under the Import a Product button, click + next to the version number of Honeycomb Nozzle for PCF. This adds the tile to your staging area.
Click the newly added Honeycomb Nozzle for PCF tile.
On the Settings tab of your Honeycomb Nozzle for PCF tile, click Honeycomb Nozzle for PCF.
Complete the fields:
- Write Key: See Create an Account on Honeycomb above.
- Sample Rate: Start with the default
1. Later, if you need to reduce the amount of data sent to Honeycomb, increase this rate. For example, set to
3to send 1 event for every 3 received.
- Send Metrics: The PCF Firehose reports both log events and metrics:
- Set to true to send both metrics and log events to Honeycomb.
- Set to false to drop metrics and only send log events to Honeycomb (recommended).
- Skip SSL Verification: Set this to true if you are not using SSL or your SSL certificates don’t have a path back to a known root authority.
- UAA API user account name: Enter the user you added using the uaac client (
honeycomb-nozzle-userin the example above).
- UAA API user account password: Enter the password you set using the uaac client (
PASSWORDin the example above).
- API URL: Enter the API endpoint for your PCF cluster.
Return to the Ops Manager Installation Dashboard and click Apply Changes to install Honeycomb Nozzle for PCF tile.