Application Container Correlation (BETA)
WARNING: This is a Beta release. This release supports Java and Node.js applications. Support for other languages will be added soon.
Starting AppDynamics Platform Monitoring tile version 4.7.239, the tile deploys an additional nozzle that can collect metrics for the container along with the Diego cell metrics. This additional nozzle correlates the metrics with the application (APM) metrics of the applications that are monitored using AppDynamics APM tile.
Application container correlation is very lightweight. It deploys just one correlation agent (nozzle) to monitor all the VMs and containers and does not require multiple agents to be deployed on each Diego cell.
Application container correlation requires a Server Visibility license.
AppDynamics Platform Monitoring tile v4.7.239 or higher.
AppDynamics Extension Buildpack v4.7 or higher for non-Java applications (or) Java Buildpack.
This feature requires both the Platform tile and Applications instrumented using AppDynamics Service Broker pointing to the same AppDynamics Controller.
For the Beta release we only support Java and Node.js applications. To get container correlation the applications need to be pushed with the buildpacks listed in the table below.
|NodeJS||appdbuildpack v4.7.67 or higher, nodejs_buildpack (any version)|
Configure AppDynamics Platform Monitoring tile to enable container correlation.
Under the AppDynamics Advanced Metrics configuration page of the tile, select the Enable Application Container Correlation (Beta) checkbox.
Push the applications, if they are not already pushed, with version 4.7 or higher of the AppDynamics Extension Buildpack for non-Java applications (or) the latest version of the Java buildpack.
Application container correlation is intended to provide machine monitoring in correlation with application monitoring. The container and Diego cell metrics are recorded as first-class metrics in the application’s page.
To view the metrics and the details of the Diego cells the application is running on
- Go to Application’s page -> Servers
To view the metrics and the details of the containers the application is running on
- Go to Application’s page -> Containers
Additionally the Servers and the Containers running on the server can also be navigated by clicking the top level Servers tab on the Controller home page
In addition to metrics, container correlation is capable of collecting and displaying tags which provide a filtered view. We collect a wide variety of tags by default like
In addition to these default tags, you can create additional tags by setting environment variables with the prefix
APPD_TAG_. Any application environment variable starting with the
APPD_TAG_ will be treated as a
tag and is dispalyed in the Tags section.
To view the tags for a container, go to Application’s Containers Page -> Click the Container entry -> Tags section
To filter the containers belonging to a specific tag, go to Application’s Containers Page -> Click on Filters -> Add Criteria -> Select the Tag Key -> Add the value to the tag.
- This Beta version requires both the Platform tile and Applications instrumented using AppDynamics Service Broker pointing to the same AppDynamics Controller. We are planning on supporting multiple controller plans in the future
- Application container correlation deploys and starts another nozzle instance along with the nozzle that collects platform metrics
- Application container correlation consumes one Server Visibility license per Diego cell running the monitored applications.
- Every Server/Container metric that is exposed via the nozzle is collected in Application container correlation. However, there are some metrics expected in the User Interface that are not emitted by the Loggregator. We are working with Pivotal to fill those gaps.