Single Sign-On Overview
This topic provides an overview of the Single Sign-On service for Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF).
The Single Sign-On service is an all-in-one solution for securing access to applications and APIs on PCF. The Single Sign-On service provides support for native authentication, federated single sign-on, and authorization. Operators can configure native authentication and federated single sign-on, for example SAML, to verify the identities of application users. After authentication, the Single Sign-On service uses OAuth 2.0 to secure resources or APIs.
The Single Sign-On service allows users to log in through a single sign-on service and access other applications that are hosted or protected by the service. This improves security and productivity since users do not have to log in to individual applications.
Developers are responsible for selecting the authentication method for application users. They can select native authentication provided by the UAA or external identity providers.
SSO supports service provider-initiated authentication flow and single logout. It does not support identity provider-initiated authentication flow. All SSO communication takes place over SSL.
OAuth 2.0 Authorization
After authentication, the Single Sign-On service uses OAuth 2.0 for authorization. OAuth 2.0 is an authorization framework that delegates access to applications to access resources on behalf of a resource owner.
Developers define resources required by an application bound to a Single Sign-On (SSO) service instance and administrators grant resource permissions. See the Configure Applications topic for more details.
The following table provides version and version-support information about Single Sign-On for PCF:
|Release date||June 15, 2017|
|Compatible Ops Manager version(s)||v1.11 or later|
|Compatible Elastic Runtime version(s)||v1.11 or later|
|IaaS support||AWS, GCP, OpenStack, and vSphere|
Consider the following compatibility information before upgrading Single Sign-On for PCF.
|Elastic Runtime Version||Supported Upgrades from SSO Versions|
|1.9.x & 1.10.x||1.2.0–1.2.4||1.3.2|
- The SSO v1.1.x tiles are compatible with PCF v1.7.x
- The SSO v1.2.x tiles are compatible with PCF v1.8.x and later
- The SSO v1.3.x tiles are compatible with PCF v1.9.x and later
- The SSO v1.4.x tiles are compatible with PCF v1.11.x and later
- Getting Started with Single Sign-On
- Using the System Plan
- Manage Service Plans
- Manage Service Instances
- Configure Identity Providers
- Identity Provider Discovery
- Manage Users
- Configure Applications
- Manage Resources
- Active Directory Federation Services Integration Guide
- Azure Active Directory SAML Integration Guide
- CA Single Sign-On Integration Guide
- Google Cloud Platform OpenID Connect Integration Guide
- Okta Integration Guide
- PingFederate Integration Guide
- PingOne Cloud Integration Guide