Upgrading VMware Tanzu GemFire
Upgrade minor release versions from your currently deployed version to the target version in sequential order. For example, VMware Tanzu GemFire for VMs v1.2 must be upgraded to Tanzu GemFire v1.3 prior to upgrading to Tanzu GemFire v1.4. Note that each Tanzu GemFire release is compatible with two VMware Tanzu Application Service for VMs (TAS for VMs) and Ops Manager versions, as specified in the Product Snapshot and Version Compatibility. Incorporate those upgrades to TAS for VMs and Ops Manager in your upgrade process as required to maintain compatibility, as described in Upgrading Ops Manager.
Follow the steps below to upgrade Tanzu GemFire:
- Download the new version of the tile from VMware Tanzu Network.
- Upload the product to Ops Manager.
- Click Add next to the uploaded product.
Click on the Tanzu GemFire tile and configure the upgrade options.
- To try the upgrade on a small number of service instances first, set the quantity of canary service instances as described in Service Instance Upgrades.
- Set the number of instances that are to be upgraded in parallel as described in Service Instance Upgrades.
- Under the Errands section, choose the Default (On) value for the Upgrade All Service Instances post-deploy errand. Save the change.
Click Review Pending Changes (see Reviewing Pending Product Changes).
Click Apply Changes.
The default upgrade path upgrades all service instances as a result of a tile upgrade. This operation can take a lengthy amount of time. To expedite upgrades, an operator can permit developers to upgrade their own service instances once the tile has been upgraded.
An operator enables individual service instance upgrades during tile installation. This feature requires TAS for VMs/Ops Manager 2.7 or a higher version and works for upgrading from Tanzu GemFire 1.9.0 to a higher version.
Within the Tanzu GemFire tile, in the Errands section, the default for the Upgrade All Service Instances errand, which upgrades all service instances, appears as:
To change the state of this errand such that individual service instance upgrades are enabled, choose Off for this errand:
Once individual service instance upgrades are enabled, the developer upgrades an individual service instance following the instructions in Upgrade a Single Service Instance.