Pivotal Platform Operators
Page last updated:
This topic describes the roles and permissions of the operator user type in an Ops Manager and Pivotal Application Service (PAS) deployment.
There are various user types in Ops Manager and PAS deployments. Roles are assigned categories that more specifically define functions that a user can perform. For more information about user types in PAS, see PAS User Types.
Operators fulfill system admin roles covering the entire Pivotal Platform deployment. They work primarily with their IaaS and Ops Manager to configure and maintain Pivotal Platform runtime component VMs. The component VMs support the VMs that host apps.
Typical operator tasks include:
- Deploying and configuring Ops Manager, Pivotal Platform runtimes, and other product and service tiles.
- Maintaining and upgrading Pivotal Platform deployments.
- Creating user accounts for Pivotal Platform users and the orgs that the users work within.
- Creating service plans that define the access granted to end users.
When Ops Manager starts up for the first time, the operator specifies one of the following authentication systems for operator user accounts:
- Internal authentication, using a new UAA database that Ops Manager creates.
- External authentication, through an existing identity provider accessed through SAML protocol.
The operator can then use the UAA CLI (UAAC) to create more operator accounts. For more information, see Creating and Managing Ops Manager User and Client Accounts.
The following table summarizes the Pivotal Platform operator user type, including their roles, the tools they use, the System of Record (SOR) that stores their accounts, and the accounts that they can provision.
|User Type||Available Roles||Tools They Use||Account SOR||Accounts They Can Provision|
Ops Manager user store through UAA
External store through SAML
|Operators and Pivotal Platform runtime users|