PCF Dev Overview
Page last updated:
This guide describes how to install and use PCF Dev, a lightweight Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) installation that runs on a single virtual machine (VM) on your workstation. PCF Dev is intended for application developers who want to develop and debug their applications locally on a PCF deployment.
PCF Dev includes Pivotal Elastic Runtime, Redis, RabbitMQ, and MySQL. It also supports all Cloud Foundry Command Line Interface (cf CLI) functionality. See the Comparing PCF Dev to Pivotal Cloud Foundry table below for more product details.
- VirtualBox: 5.0+: PCF Dev uses VirtualBox as its virtualizer.
- The latest version of the cf CLI: Use the cf CLI to push and scale apps.
- You must have an Internet connection for DNS. See Using PCF Dev Offline if you do not have an Internet connection.
- At least 3 GB of available memory on your host machine. Pivotal recommends running on a host system with at least 8 GB of total RAM.
- Configuring PCF Dev
- Using PCF Dev
- Using Services in PCF Dev
- Using Spring Cloud Services in PCF Dev
- Using PCF Dev Behind a Proxy
- Using PCF Dev Offline
- PCF Dev on AWS
- Frequently Asked Questions
PCF Dev mirrors PCF in its key product offerings. If an application runs on PCF Dev, it runs on PCF with no modification in almost all cases. Review the table below for key product details.
|Space required||20 GB||100GB+||50GB+|
|Memory required||3 GB||50GB+||variable|
|Estimated time-to-deploy||10 Minutes||Hour+||Hour+|
|Compatible with CF CLI||✓||✓||✓|
|Deploy apps with any supported buildpack||✓||✓||✓|
|Integration with 3rd party Authorization||✓||✓|
(i.e., can perform additional BOSH deployments)
|Day Two Lifecycle Operations
(e.g., rolling upgrades, security patches)
|Developers have root-level access across cluster||✓|
|Does not depend on BOSH||✓|